Crafting DIY handmade Christmas gifts is a wonderful way to spread joy and reduce waste during the holiday season. Today, I rounded up 17 fantastic creative and useful homemade holiday gift options for adults and kids that are sure to bring smiles this Christmas. 🎁
P.S. Here are some additional Holiday-related guides you might be interested in as well:
- Organic Gifts for Everyone On Your List (150+ Gift Ideas!)
- Your Guide to Non-Toxic Christmas Trees
- The Best Organic Matching Family Pajamas
- The Best Non-Toxic Winter Candles
- Options for Lead-Free Christmas Lights
Table of Contents
- Best DIY Ideas For Creative Handmade Christmas Gifts
- Best DIY Christmas Gifts Ideas For Her
- Easy Homemade Christmas Gifts For Family
- Mason Jar Hot Cocoa Mix
- Homemade Soap Bar
- Custom Family Puzzle
- Homemade Potpourri Jars
- Knit or Crochet Scarf
- DIY Holiday Gift Ideas For Adults
- Creative Homemade Gifts For Kids
- Wrapping Up: Easy Ideas For DIY Handmade Christmas Gifts
This article contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission if you decide to make a purchase.
Best DIY Ideas For Creative Handmade Christmas Gifts
Let’s be honest: DIY Christmas gifts hold a special charm that can outshine store-bought options, not only for the recipients but also for the creators.
This list of 2023’s best handmade Christmas gift ideas allows for customization to suit the recipient’s tastes, interests, and preferences. You can even tailor them to match your giftee’s favorite colors, themes, or even shared memories.
But that’s not all. When we decide to ditch store-bought gifts and channel our creativity, these thoughtful DIY Christmas gifts also help minimize waste and reduce the demand for mass-produced items. Personally, I always try to utilize recycled or repurposed materials as well as all-natural ingredients for my DIY holiday gift ideas.
To put it simply, the effort invested, the personalization, and the eco-conscious choices made in creating your homemade gifts reflect the true spirit of giving during the holiday season. (Plus, you can usually save some money, too!) This is what makes DIY Christmas gifts a great choice.
Best DIY Christmas Gifts Ideas For Her
First, let me give you some homemade gift ideas for the women in your life.
DIY Homemade Sugar Scrub
On the hunt for homemade Christmas gifts for the person who takes her skincare seriously? Consider creating a luxurious body scrub using natural ingredients. The scrub idea is customizable, allowing you to tailor it to the recipient’s skin type and preferred scent. It’s a handmade luxury that brings spa-like relaxation into her home during the busy holiday season.
Plus, it’s really easy!
- Mix 1 cup of sugar with 1/4 cup of coconut oil in a bowl.
- Add a few drops of essential oil(s) of your choice (e.g., lavender, peppermint) and mix well.
- Transfer the mixture to a jar and seal it.
- Tie a ribbon around the jar or add some other little decorations to give your sugar scrub a festive presentation.
DIY Natural Lip Balm
Next up is one of the most useful homemade gifts! DIY a nourishing and soothing lip balm using natural ingredients—perfect for keeping lips soft and moisturized. It’s a fantastic Christmas gift for natural beauty enthusiasts who appreciate organic and high-quality skincare products. (I know I do!)
- Melt beeswax and coconut oil in a double boiler.
- Remove from heat and stir in honey and essential oils.
- Pour into lip balm glass/metal containers and let it cool and harden.
Handmade Bath Bombs
Craft fizzy bath bombs infused with soothing scents, transforming bath time into a relaxing experience.
These handmade bath bombs are one of the most useful and easy homemade DIY Christmas gifts that encourage self-care and relaxation. They add a touch of luxury to an everyday routine and allow the recipient to unwind and destress during the hectic holiday season. Customizable scents and colors make this gift even more appealing.
- Mix 1 cup baking soda, 1/2 cup citric acid, 1/2 cup Epsom salt, and 1/2 cup cornstarch in a bowl.
- Add 2-3 teaspoons of water, 2-3 teaspoons of essential oil, and a few drops of food coloring (if you want). Mix until it holds its shape when squeezed.
- Pack the mixture into silicone or stainless steel molds and let it dry for 24-48 hours.
Easy Homemade Christmas Gifts For Family
Here are some DIY Christmas gifts ideas will work for anyone and everyone—adults and kids, alike!
Mason Jar Hot Cocoa Mix
Layer ingredients for hot chocolate in a mason jar for a cozy and delightful gift. Mason jar hot cocoa mix is a heartwarming handmade Christmas gift idea that spreads joy and coziness. It’s perfect for chilly winter nights, allowing the recipient to enjoy a comforting cup of hot cocoa.
- Layer ingredients in a mason jar in this order: 1/2 cup cocoa powder, 1/2 cup sugar, 1/2 cup chocolate chips, 1/2 cup mini marshmallows. (Even better if the ingredients are organic!)
- Seal the jar and decorate it with a ribbon or tag with preparation instructions.
These sweet treats make great gifts for coworkers, teachers, and neighbors.
Homemade Soap Bar
Craft natural soap bars with essential oils for a luxurious and cleansing bathing experience. They are gentle on the skin and can be customized with various scents and additives. So much so that you’ll be tempted to keep one or two for yourself!
- Melt soap base in a double boiler.
- Stir in essential oils and any desired additives (like dried flowers, oats, coffee grounds, etc.)
- Pour into soap molds and let it cool and harden. (Or, instead of soap molds, you can just use any baking dish and then cut the soap into bars.)
Custom Family Puzzle
This one is more of a semi-DIY Christmas gift idea, since you still have to order it… But it’s the perfect gift for the sentimental one in the family!
Plus, it’s like a gift and a family activity in one. You can give your recipient the box and then spend some time putting it together…together!
Where to get custom-printed photo puzzles:
Homemade Potpourri Jars
Create a potpourri blend with dried fruits, spices, and herbs to fill homes with a pleasant aroma. It’s a thoughtful and decorative present that enhances the ambiance of a home, especially during the holiday season. Crafting a unique potpourri blend allows you to tailor it to the recipient’s preferences, too.
- If using fruits, you’ll want to dry them out first, either in the oven or in a food dehydrator.
- Grab some mason jars or old jars you’ve been saving.
- Choose your ingredients. (Dried orange slices, cinnamon sticks, cloves, rosemary, etc.)
- Layer the ingredients in the jar so they look pretty.
- Add twine and a directions tag to the jar for presentation.
Note from Abbie: This is actually what I did for friends & family last year! Since I usually save my glass jars (from things like sauces that I buy at the grocery), I had a bunch of extra jars in my cabinet that I could put to good use. I made little tags in Canva that I tied around the jars to give people directions on how to use the potpourri. Feel free to steal it and use it yourself!
Knit or Crochet Scarf
Okay, so depending on how much knitting/crocheting experience you have, this one may or may not fall under the “easy” DIY gift ideas category.
But if you want to give it a try, a hand-knitted or crocheted scarf or hat could make for a heartfelt Christmas gift that embodies warmth, love, and the holiday spirit. They offer comfort during the colder months and can be personalized in colors and patterns to match the recipient’s style.
Here are some places that sell easy(ish) knitting and crocheting kits for beginners:
DIY Holiday Gift Ideas For Adults
Here are some homemade Christmas gift ideas for people like coworkers, in-laws, and other adults in your life.
Homemade Infused Olive Oil
Looking for a fantastic DIY Christmas gift idea for a home chef? Infused olive oil adds a gourmet touch to any dish. The effort and thoughtfulness put into choosing the herbs and creating this custom gift will be appreciated by any of your friends or loved ones who spend a lot of time in the kitchen.
- Select a clean, airtight glass bottle.
- Fill the bottle with high-quality olive oil, leaving some space at the top.
- Add dried herbs or spices like rosemary, thyme, garlic, or chili flakes for flavor.
- Seal the bottle and let it infuse for a week before gifting.
Hand-Painted Plant Pots
Bring life to plain plant pots with artistic designs, making them perfect for housing small plants or succulents. Your designs will make each pot unique and will add a personal and decorative touch.
- Purchase plain clay pots or use ones you already have around your house or in your garage. (You can probably source some from a local thrift store, too!)
- Grab some non-toxic paint, like that from Natural Earth.
- Clean and dry the pots thoroughly.
- Paint your chosen designs or patterns on the pots and let them dry.
- If you want, add some soil and a plant of your choice. 🪴
Need some design inspo? There are SO many unique gift ideas on Pinterest for this one!
DIY Herb Garden Kit
You could buy an herb garden from a brand like Aerogarden, or you could save some coin and make your own herb garden kits for this year’s DIY Christmas gifts.
This is an especially good idea if you already have gardening extras—like leftover seeds or old jars—laying around.
Assemble a kit with pots, seeds, and soil for starting a mini herb garden, adding freshness to their culinary creations. This useful homemade gift encourages sustainability and self-sufficiency in their culinary endeavors. It brings the joy of gardening into their kitchen, allowing them to cultivate their favorite herbs.
- Gather small pots, potting soil, and a variety of herb seeds (e.g., basil, thyme, rosemary). Again, use what you already have around your house and then buy whatever extras you might need at the end.
- Arrange them in a decorative box or basket and include planting instructions.
If you have a sewing machine, you could create charming fabric bookmarks to accompany a good book. It’s a thoughtful and practical gift for avid readers. They are super easy to make and will remind your giftee of your thoughtfulness every time they open or close their book!
You can either buy new fabric, picking out designs that you know your friend or family member will like, or you can use extra fabric that you already have around the house.
- Cut fabric into a strip (approximately 2 inches by 7-8 inches).
- Fold the fabric in half lengthwise with the right sides facing in.
- Sew along the long edge and one short edge, leaving one short edge open.
- Turn the fabric right side out, press, and stitch the open edge. Add any desired embellishments.
Creative Homemade Gifts For Kids
Lastly, here are a couple DIY Christmas gifts you can make for the youngest family members!
DIY Crayon Shapes
DIY crayons make for some fun handmade DIY Christmas gifts for toddlers and young artists. They provide an exciting twist to regular crayons and make coloring more enjoyable.
- Set up a double boiler with a glass measuring cup or similar item.
- Melt beeswax, cocoa butter, and carnauba wax over medium heat until it turns amber.
- Distribute pigments into five glass jars.
- Add 1/4 cup of melted wax to a jar with pigment; mix quickly.
- If needed, briefly place the jar in hot water to aid mixing.
- Pour the mixed wax into a silicone mold once slightly thickened. (Use a regular rectangle mold for crayon shapes or a fun Christmas mold.)
- Repeat for each crayon color and let them harden for several hours.
Homemade Play Dough
Create a soft and colorful play dough that provides hours of sensory play. It’s safe, and fun, and allows for endless creativity and tactile exploration.
- Mix 1 cup flour, 1/2 cup salt, 2 tbsp cream of tartar, and 1 cup water in a saucepan.
- Add colors if you want. To avoid synthetic food colorings, consider using colors from foods instead. Here is a really helpful tutorial from The Imagination Tree.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until it forms a ball.
- Let it cool and knead until smooth.
- Store in an air-tight container when it’s not being played with. Keep in mind that when using all-natural ingredients, the dough will only last a couple of weeks.
Wrapping Up: Easy Ideas For DIY Handmade Christmas Gifts
There you have it—our list of the easiest homemade Christmas gifts! This holiday season, let’s celebrate the art of giving by infusing our DIY holiday gifts with a piece of ourselves. Whether it’s the aroma of a homemade candle, the playfulness of a family puzzle, or the comfort of a knitted pair of mittens, all DIY Christmas gifts carry a story, a smile, and an abundance of love.