Comfortable sweats are an absolute must for every wardrobe. You’ve got things to do and you don’t have time to be uncomfortable!
One of the best things about organic sweatshirts, hoodies, and sweatpants is how versatile they are. You can wear them for your morning workout, while you relax around the house in the evenings, as you run errands on the weekends, and even while you work from home on the weekdays.
For those who live in places that get four seasons and/or have temperamental climates, sweatshirts are essential for layering or for throwing in your bag just in case the weather changes dramatically while you’re out.
Plus… While other categories of goods might be difficult to find in organic or non-toxic varieties, the good news is that there is no shortage of amazing organic sweatshirts and sweatpants. There are lots of great brands offering organic hoodies are joggers that are not only healthy for people and planet, but are simultaneously stylish and comfortable.
Below we’ve got brands that carry basic pullover sweatshirts, zip-up hoodies, v-necks, wide-legged sweatpants, and much more—with styles and sizes for every member of the family.
Table of Contents
- At a Glance: Best Organic Sweatshirts & Hoodies for 2023
- What to Look for in Organic Sweatshirts & Pants
- The Best Organic Sweatshirts, Hoodies, & Joggers for the Whole Family
- 1. Pact (Best Overall)
- 2. Quince (Most Affordable Organic Cotton Sweatshirts)
- 3. MATE (Best Organic Cotton Sweatshirt for Women)
- 4. Everlane (Best Organic Sweatshirts for Men)
- 5. Colorful Standard (Best Gender Neutral Sweatshirts & Hoodies)
- 6. Colored Organics (Best Organic Sweats for Babies & Kids)
- 7. Monica & Andy (Also Best for Babies & Kids)
- 8. Mightly (Best Organic Sweatshirts & Hoodies for Tweens)
- 9. Pangaia (Best for Teens)
- 10. Harvest & Mill (Best Made in the USA Sweats)
- 11. Girlfriend (Most Size Inclusive)
- 12. Conscious Step (Sweats for a Cause)
- 13. Happy Earth (Graphic Sweatshirts & Joggers for Adults)
- + Even More Brands for Organic Sweatshirts, Sweatpants, Hoodies, and Joggers!
This article contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission if you decide to make a purchase.
Featured Image Credit: Pact
At a Glance: Best Organic Sweatshirts & Hoodies for 2023
Best Overall: Pact (code: THEFILTERY15)
Most Affordable: Quince
Best for Women: MATE
Best for Men: Everlane
Best Gender Neutral: Colorful Standard
Best for Tweens: Mightly
Best for Teens: Pangaia
Made in the USA: Harvest & Mill
Most Size Inclusive: Girlfriend
Sweats for a Cause: Conscious Step
Graphic Sweats: Happy Earth
+ even more brands below!
What to Look for in Organic Sweatshirts & Pants
You’ll notice that most of the brands below use organic cotton for a lot of their sweatshirts and sweatpants. Many of them use 100% organic cotton, while sometimes they add 5% or so of elastane for added stretch.
Organic cotton is a great choice because it’s grown without the use of toxic pesticides. Organic clothing is also less likely to be processed using harsh chemicals or colored using toxic dyes or other harmful finishes.
Other materials you might find in sweatshirts and sweatpants include:
- Wool: This can include include cashmere, alpaca, or others. When sourced responsibly and ethically, this can be a great option for natural and sustainable hoodies, joggers, etc. It can be especially great for cold-weather activities, as wool tends to be warmer than cotton. (Although, of course, it is not suitable for vegans.)
- Regenerative cotton: This kind of cotton goes one step further than organic. In addition to just not using toxic pesticides, regenerative cotton is grown and harvested in a way that actually restores vital nutrients to the topsoil and captures carbon from the atmosphere.
- Hemp: An awesome fiber that is not only organic and sustainable but also naturally moisture-wicking and mold-resistant. You’ll find that some of the brands below offer organic hoodies and sweatshirts that use a blend of hemp and organic cotton.
- TENCEL: This is a semi-synthetic fabric because it’s sourced from plants but is processed so heavily that it can’t be considered “natural” by the time it actually gets to be a finished fabric. TENCEL is the least toxic type of rayon fabric, so although it’s not organic, I do like it. It has a smoother, silkier texture than organic cotton or wool.
- Other rayon fabrics: While TENCEL is a kind of rayon, there are lots of other kinds of rayon and modal fabrics as well. You’ll find many brands using rayons and modals for their sweatshirts and joggers, but for the most part, I haven’t included any of those ones in our recommendations below. That’s because there are several toxic chemicals used to produce most rayons, which you can read more about here.
- Conventional cotton: I also haven’t included conventional cotton sweatshirts or sweatpants below (with a couple of exceptions), but there are certainly lots of brands making them. While it is a natural fiber, conventional cotton is grown using toxic pesticides and is also relatively unsustainable when it comes to water use. However, conventional cotton is often more affordable so it can be a good option for those on a budget.
- Synthetics like polyester: Lastly, you’ll find plenty of sweats made out of synthetic fabrics like polyester. A plastic product, these cannot be considered entirely non-toxic or sustainable. Their production requires fossil fuels and they don’t biodegrade at the end of their life. Some of the brands below do offer collections made out of recycled synthetics, which may be considered “better” compared to virgin fibers… However, it can be difficult to know what exactly is in fabric made out of things like recycled plastic bottles… They can contain toxic plasticizers like BPA.
Another thing to look for are third-party certifications. While these labels are by no means the end-all-be-all for ethical, sustainable, and healthy production, they can provide a certain level of accountability and traceability for both brands and consumers. Here are some of the labels you will come across and what they mean:
- Global Organic Textile Standard (GOTS): This is a common one for organic cotton and it certifies that the cotton was grown without the use of toxic synthetic pesticides. It can also certify wool as well.
- OEKO-TEX: This certifies that a finished product is free from a list of toxic chemicals.
- USDA: Although this one is less common, this one can come with clothing that uses organic cotton that’s grown and sourced from the U.S.
- Fairtrade International and Fair Trade USA: These are two separate certification programs, but they both verify that the garments were made by people earning a living wage and working under safe conditions.
Those are the most common certifications, but some other ones you might see are Organic Trade Association (OTA), B Corp, and PETA Approved Vegan.
Lastly, you’ll want to look for non-toxic dyes and other finishes. When possible, avoid labels like “wrinkle-free” or “stain resistant” because those claims may indicate that a toxic chemical finish has been added (such as formaldehyde or PFAS). You can check out this guide to learn more about all of the different chemicals that can be added to clothing.
The Best Organic Sweatshirts, Hoodies, & Joggers for the Whole Family
And now, let’s get to it! Here are our picks for the best organic sweatpants, sweatshirts, joggers, hoodies, sweat shorts, and more:
1. Pact (Best Overall)
Size Range: S-3XL
Price Range: $10-$78
Carries: Women, men, gender neutral
Pact gets my “Best Overall” label because of the variety of styles they offer and because their organic sweats are available at affordable price points.
All of their sweats and loungewear is made out of GOTS certified organic cotton in Fair Trade certified factories. In addition to their basic organic sweatshirts and joggers, Pact also offers wide-leg sweatpants, zip-up and v-neck hoodies, long cardigans, and more. They also offer a variety of colors and patterns, too.
Use the code THEFILTERY15 for 15% off full-priced items.
2. Quince (Most Affordable Organic Cotton Sweatshirts)
Size Range: 0-24 (babies); 2T-12Y (kids); XS-XL (adults)
Price Range: $35-$110
Carries: Women, men, baby, kids
Quince has a collection of hoodies, zip-ups sweatshirts, joggers, and sweat shorts made out of organic cotton and/or natural Mongolian cashmere. (They also have a “FlowKnit” collection which is made using recycled polyester, so stay away from those pieces if you’re trying to skip the synthetics.)
Starting at $35 for an adult-sized hoodie, these are the most affordable organic sweats I’ve found that are still super cozy and high-quality.
3. MATE (Best Organic Cotton Sweatshirt for Women)
Size Range: 12M-7Y (kids); XS-3XL (adults)
Price Range: $108-$128
Carries: Women, men, kids
Although MATE does have a collection of organic sweats for men and for kids, they have a much bigger collection of feminine styles. They have classic drawstring joggers, relaxed fit sweatpants, oversized sweatshirts, crop top sweatshirts, and more.
Their color options are especially nice—they have the essential black, white, and gray, but then they also offer bright red, a deep green, a beautiful blush pink, and more. Everything is made out of 100% organic cotton and non-toxic dyes.
Plus, MATE is also a carbon neutral brand and a member of 1% for the Planet. And they have a recycling program where you can earn store credit when you turn in your old pieces.
4. Everlane (Best Organic Sweatshirts for Men)
Size Range: 2XS-2XL
Price Range: $39-$78
Carries: Men & women
Everlane has a collection of affordable organic sweatshirts, sweatpants, track shorts, quarter-zips, and hoodies, and they actually carry styles and sizes for both men and women.
These are made out of 100% GOTS certified organic cotton and are also dyed using safer colorants.
5. Colorful Standard (Best Gender Neutral Sweatshirts & Hoodies)
Size Range: XS-2XL
Price Range: $72-$88
Compared to other pieces of clothing, sweats can more easily fit on a variety of body shapes and sizes, so technically, a lot of lot of the brands on this list will work great for all genders. But Colorful Standard specifically makes unisex hoodies, zip-up sweatshirts, sweatpants, and sweatshorts made out of 100% organic cotton.
They have an awesome color collection as well, with lots of options to choose from. Plus, these organic sweats are made with OEKO-TEX certified non-toxic dye and are PETA Approved Vegan, too.
6. Colored Organics (Best Organic Sweats for Babies & Kids)
Size Range: 0 months – 6 years
Price Range: $26-$32
Carries: Babies, toddlers, and young kids
Colored Organics offers some of the cutest organic sweats for babies, toddlers, and young children. They have hoodies and pullover sweatshirts, joggers and sweatpants, and even adorable overalls made out of comfy organic cotton fabric.
They have lots of solid colors to choose from, as well as patterns like stripes and floral prints. They use 100% organic cotton and water-based dyes. Plus, every purchase gives back to a non-profit organization.
7. Monica & Andy (Also Best for Babies & Kids)
Size Range: 0 months – 10 years
Price Range: $22-$36
Carries: Babies, toddlers, and kids
While Colored Organics has a great collection of kids’ sweats that come in solid colors, Monica & Andy has a wider variety of prints and patterns (including holiday-themed and seasonal options!).
In addition to the basic sweatshirts and sweatpants, they also have some super cute unique styles, like ruffled sleeved sweatshirts, sleeveless hoodies, hooded sweatshirt dresses, and more.
Monica & Andy uses GOTS certified organic cotton for their clothing. Some of it is made with 100% organic cotton, while other pieces are made using 95% organic cotton + 5% elastane for stretch.
8. Mightly (Best Organic Sweatshirts & Hoodies for Tweens)
Size Range: 2T – XXL (14Y)
Price Range: $36-$40
Carries: Kids, tweens
Mightly carries zip-up hoodies and joggers for kids and tweens that come in basic solid colors as well as fun choices like tie-dye, rainbow, and more. You can sort by girls, boys, or gender neutral.
All of Mightly’s sweatshirts and sweatpants for kids are made out of GOTS certified organic cotton in Fair Trade certified factories. They source their cotton from the Chetna Organic Farmers Association, which is a farmer-owned nonprofit that works with smallholder farming families.
9. Pangaia (Best for Teens)
Size Range: 3Y-12Y (kids); XXS-XXL (teens & adults)
Price Range: $90-$450
Carries: Women, men, gender-netural, kids
Pangaia is a great choice for teens for a few reasons. One, they have tons of colorways to choose from—from basic black to lime green to tie-dye, and more. (One of their collections is even dyed using food waste!)
Second, they have lots of styles to choose from, including oversized hoodies, crop top hoodies, sleeveless sweatshirts, track pants, and more. Most of their styles are genderless.
And third, a lot of their clothing is infused with what they call PPRMINT™ oil, which is meant to keep your clothes fresher longer and give you more time in between washes!
Most of Pangaia’s collection is made using 100% organic cotton, but they do have some options that use recycled cashmere, recycled cotton, linen, and a few other types of fabrics.
10. Harvest & Mill (Best Made in the USA Sweats)
Size Range: S-XL
Price Range: $54-$185
Carries: Women, men, gender-neutral
Harvest & Mill is one of the very few brands that not only makes their clothes in the USA, but actually sources their cotton from the States as well. From start to finish, each piece is designed, sourced, spun, knit, sewn, and dyed in the USA using organic and regenerative cotton and non-toxic dyes.
They offer black and white (undyed) cotton joggers and hoodies, along with other items like shorts, t-shirts, and socks. They also offer limited edition collections like brown-cotton and indigo blue sweats.
11. Girlfriend (Most Size Inclusive)
Size Range: 2XS-6XL
Price Range: $62-$88
Although a lot of their clothing is made out of recycled plastic, Girlfriend also has a collection of sweatsuits made out of 50% organic cotton and 50% recycled cotton. This collection includes classic and cropped hoodies, full zips and half zips, wide legged pants, joggers, and sweat shorts.
They all come in a selection of solid colors, which change depending on the season. They have the widest selection of sizes available, from 2XS to 6XL.
12. Conscious Step (Sweats for a Cause)
Size Range: 2XS-2XL
Price Range: $90-$100
Conscious Step first started with a huge collection of “Socks That Give Back,” but they have since expanded their collection to include sweatshirts and hoodies, too.
Each solid colored organic sweatshirt or hoodie benefits a cause you care about, whether it’s protecting the rainforests, supporting mental health, saving dogs & cats, and more. They come with several different third-party certifications, including GOTS, Fairtrade, Vegan, and 1% for the Planet.
These hoodies would be a great gift idea to show your support for a cause your loved one cares about.
13. Happy Earth (Graphic Sweatshirts & Joggers for Adults)
Size Range: XS-3XL
Price Range: $58-$74
Carries: Women, men, all-gender
A lot of the brands above make solid colored sweats, but Happy Earth offers organic sweatshirts, hoodies, quarter-zips, and joggers that come with graphics such as nature-scapes and feminine designs.
They’re made in WRAP certified facilities (indicating ethical production) out of 100% GOTS certified organic cotton. Happy Earth is also a certified B Corp brand that gives back with each purchase.
+ Even More Brands for Organic Sweatshirts, Sweatpants, Hoodies, and Joggers!
Can’t stop, won’t stop—there are even more brands that offer great options for comfy, organic sweats!
Aliya Wanek – Locally produced and dyed out of organic cotton and hemp.
Allbirds – Adult sweats made out organic Peruvian cotton, TENCEL, and hemp.
Arms of Andes – Easy-to-layer wool activewear for women and men.
California Cloth Foundry – Small collection of women’s sweats made from regenerative American-grown cotton and natural dyes.
Christy Dawn – Small collection of beautiful sweaters and joggers for women made using organic cotton and alpaca wool.
Haven Well Within – Luxurious women’s sweats and loungewear made with materials like cashmere, TENCEL, and organic cotton.
Industry of all Nations – Gender-neutral and naturally-dyed sweats made out of organic cotton.
tentree: Lots of options for men and women made from organic cotton, recycled cotton, TENCEL, and recycled polyester (however, they don’t always give the specific material breakdown of each item).
Organic Basics: Organic cotton sweats for adults.
Outerknown: Great selection of sweats for men and women, but most of it is made with an organic cotton and recycled polyester blend.
Rawganique – Carries 100% plastic-free and elastic-free sweats for women and men that are made out of organic cotton and hemp.
Like what you see? If you’d like to get more resources, tips, and more delivered to your inbox once a week, sign up for Filtered Fridays!